AMMONIUM TETRAFORMATE SOLUTION is used for killing yeast or grain prior to use as animal feed.
- Improves digestion and absorption of nutrients in livestock.
- Prevents contamination and recontamination by pathogens in animal feed.
- Assists compliance with:
BFBi Feed Assurance Scheme
BFBi Code of practice for moist feeds
- Suitable for Organic Feedstuffs
- Permitted Preservative in Feedstuffs
Brewery and distillery co-products that are sent for animal feed must be “safe” for animal and human consumption. “Feed ingredients shall be deemed safe if they do not have an adverse effect on human or animal health and do not make food derived from food producing animals injurious to health or unfit for humans consumption” Regulation (EC) 178/2002 adapted)
To ensure the safety of co-products, HACCP assessments have to be carried out in order to minimise chemical, physical or microbiological contamination.
In yeast slurry the possible microbiological contamination include:
- Bacteria including Salmonella – from birds, pests, environment or operatives within the brewery
- Mould – From the environment
- Mycotoxins – Produced from mould growth
Controls needed to eliminate microbial contamination in yeast slurry may include:
- Prevent ingress of birds, insects and other pets
- Ensure a clean environment within the brewhouse and yeast storage areas
- Treat yeast slurry with Ammonium Tetraformate Solution to kill micro organisms and prevent further growth of mould and myco-toxin production.
- These steps will become Critical Control Points (CCP’s) identified in the HACCP assessment to either eliminate or reduce the hazards to an acceptable level.
Application and Rates of use:
The product can be diluted prior to use to ensure even distribution throughout the grains.
Mix the product evenly throughout the surplus yeast at a rate of: 1 litre per 300 litres of yeast slurry for up to 12% dry solids up to 1 litre per 275 litres of yeast slurry for more than 12% dry solids.
Rates of use
Check that the product is within its shelf life before use.
Experiment with additions to determine the minimum effective rates.
Read the Safety Data sheet prior to use.
Do not mix with alkaline products.